Tuesday, May 26, 2009

May is winding down

Its been a weird month.....Up and down and now back up a little bit. I had gotten into some bad habits in HU...very donkish habits. Bad habits kinda creep into your game slowly...little by little, and before you know it...blam...your playing like a fucking donk. The thing that I realized is that I never set any traps for my opponents...I always bet out my good hands, and never slowplay. Now, I'm not a huge fan of slowplaying, and alot of fish do it way too much, but against some opponents, it works really well. It kinda dawned on me when I was playing this one dude who would float my cbets on the flop every time. Then, if I checked the turn, he would fire a pot sized bet on the river and take it down. I finally just literally said to myself outloud..."just make a hand and check the turn". Well...I did and it worked like a charm. When he fired out, I repopped him...He instafolded leaving himself shortstacked. Ding...ligthbulb. Now, this isnt something that I didnt already know...I've done it a million times in the past...its just that I had gotten away from it...I was just in the habit of cbetting and if I had a made hand on the flop, betting out even bigger on the turn. This is the right play against some fish...particulary stations that arent gonna fold anything no matter what. But, the slightly more sophisticated donks require a little bit of deception to pwn.

I was also stabbing at too many pots OOP, getting hard headed at times, and also not letting hands develop...not allowing the villain to make dumb mistakes...I was forcing the action too much, and getting my self into dead end type positions too often. I feel like today I corrected alot of it...my results today have been much better, so keeping my fingers crossed that I am truly onto something, and that I have made some tweaks for the better.

I staked my friend Rob again, and this time we both made some money. I ended up making $129, and he ended up with a bankroll where he previously had none. Rob's a cool dude and a good poker player, but he really need to build up a roll if he wants to make a living playing cards. He knows this, but its easier said than done when you starting from ground zero. Also met another guy, Mike Csikasz (Csikasz on stars)...and we've partnered on some 4 mans too. Played a couple of brief sessions...his specialty appears to be HU, and his graph is sick, so looking forward to seeing what develops.

Still playing mostly on Cake...trying to work off this sign up bonus. They changed the rules for FPP's, so they accrue slower, but they dont back the bonus $$ out of the Rakeback anymore, so I think its a posiitve, but its a little convoluted. Still have $360 to go on that.

Anyway...every month has to be $1000+ going forward...minimum. Thats the goal, so I have a little work to do yet!!


May Poker Profit

Cake $293
Stars $388

Total $681

GL
Wing

No comments: