Friday, June 19, 2009

Poker is fun!

Enjoying poker for the most part. Had one of the worst days of my poker life a couple of days ago, and it was hard mentally, but I let it go before I went to bed, and I'm proud of myself for that. I made the mistake of playing a bunch of DON's which I know how to play, but since it had been a while since I played any, I didnt play them optimally. To make matters worse, I ran awful, so the net was a big down day. On a brighter note, I had a very good day today...havent lost an SNG yet, and had a solid cash session too. I have learned to be very philosophical about bad beats and coolers...my thought process goes something like this:

-I'm playing a buy in level that I know I have consistently beaten in the past
-So, the fact that I'm having a bad day is the exception, not the rule..
-So, once this patch of non-std variance is over I will be back to my winning ways
-So, I'm not gonna freak out, rather just keep grinding and everything will be fine.


This framework of thoughts has helped me immensely. I never play over my bankroll, so I never have to worry about a streak of bad variance busting me. Getting all worked up and emotional about a bad session, or day, is really just a waste of energy, so I try like hell to avoid it....plus if you let yourself get tilted, it can do major damage to your roll. No bueno! I'm feeling really good about my ability to mange the emotional swings. The main thing is just playing as well as possible at all times...being honest with yourself if your not, and avoid playing when you're tired, intoxicated, or in any kind of bad mood.


June Profit

$1029

GL All

Wing

No comments: